Monday, December 9, 2013

Do the best you can, and there is no need to worry.

Image Source
As I became an adult, this has been one of my very firm mottos in life.  Control what you can control, do your best, and you shouldn't have to worry about the outcome so much.  I have always lived my life by trying at everything.  I worked hard in high school  (unfortunately to realize later that high school didn't much matter).  I did the right thing, even when no one was looking.

As a case study, I once knew a person who I thought, at first, had really unfortunate luck.  This person struggled to find or keep a job, never really gaining any traction in life.  I finally realized that this wasn't unfortunate luck, but a string on less than perfect decisions, a cause-and-effect of not taking the tough road or doing their very best.  I decided to never again mix up the difference between luck and probability.

I now find that the best way to feel a sense of control during stressful situations is to not worry.  And I know that I gave it everything so I can walk away having done all I can, so why worry about things beyond my control?  My cool, calm demeanor and not letting worried thoughts take over is the one thing that can't be taken away from me - it is the one way I prove to myself that I control the situation.

Pair this with a penchant for fixing things quickly, and you will be unstoppable.  Problem comes up? Solve it and don't touch it again.  Then you can go back to enjoying that ice cream sundae you earned.

No comments:

Post a Comment