Friday, October 25, 2013

I have a confession to make... I am an introvert, and I'm not afraid to not show it.

Image Source
It's true.  I am an introvert.  I am one of those who have a whole different half below the surface.  You might not have known this about me, especially at work.  I have always been in a position that requires me to be "on stage" at work, and so my theater skills have done me well there.

But all of that time spent with people at work, or talking and interacting, means that I need to balance it with quiet time, introspective time, and alone time.  I promise, I am not a recluse. I just need to recharge.

I like to think of being an introvert as just saving some of my best features for those who know me well enough to appreciate them.  Other strangers might just wrongly assume that I am dull, shy or anti-social.

In some cases where I have been around highly chatty extroverts, I have found it quite draining and stopped any effort to contribute to the conversation.  I feel guilty that they are not seeing a true representation of me as a person, but then I think, if they slowed down to truly hear what I would say I would consider actually saying it.  Please don't hold it against me.

If you are an introvert, or you would like to better understand someone who is, read this:
What Is It Really Like To Be An Introvert?

This article is so spot-on, I am sad I didn't think of it first.  Enjoy your new found understanding of the "loners."

No comments:

Post a Comment