Thursday, July 25, 2013

Weird is Rad: Let your freak flag fly.

 
 

Weird is rad.  If you don't think so, you are too worried about whether or not other people are judging you.  The problem here is that everyone has the weird in them, and I tend not to trust people that aren't willing to be their true selves.  Get over yourself if that is you.

When I meet new people, I do try and "time release the crazy" as I call it, as in, I don't maybe show all the weirdness right away because I don't want to overwhelm.  With that said, here is some of my crazy (those that know me will not be surprised).
  • Gnomes:  Yes, I like the creepy garden gnomes.  I prefer to hide them around the house and outside so they are a funny surprise when people find them.

  • Dancing in public:  Apparently I do this frequently, but don't know it.  I can tell that I am doing ballet things with my feet when my hubs looks at me like, please stop.  Once I did a full on spin in American Eagle because the music was loud and I forgot where I was.  I hope no one noticed.

  • Sending funny pictures to people: I love sending funny things to friends' phones.  I particularly like sending that very first llama picture to someone who doesn't know why, so they are just like, "um, what?"  I have saved over 500 pictures on my phone for this very reason across the spectrum from llamas, quotes, Samuel L. Jackson, piglets in clothing, and plenty of T-Rex and Domo pictures.

I have an appreciation for strange or unique people in the world, and I have to share my favorites with the universe.  These are some of my favorite true originals.

Iris Apfel: A New York native known for her interior design work, Iris is a fashion icon.  Her awesome bug-eye glasses, giant stacks of bracelets, and joyful smile make me happy.  I only hope that I can be this rad when I am her age.  I love her original style and personality.

Via intothegloss.com

Jennifer Lawrence: She is crass, hysterical, and does pretty much whatever she wants. J Law, thanks for not jumping the bandwagon.

2013_time100_lawrence.jpg
Photo by Mark Seliger, via http://time100.time.com/2013


Marcus Samuelsson: Marcus is an Ethiopian-born and Swedish-raised chef in NYC.  It is on my bucket list to visit his restaurant, Red Rooster, in Harlem.  He is so impressive as a chef, and seems very down-to-earth and real.  And he is not afraid to mix patterns.

Via marcussamuelsson.com


Rachel Maddow: Rachel is the first openly gay anchor to host a major prime-time news program in the U.S., and she is wicked awesome.  I don't care what your political views are, Rachel is one of the smartest, well-educated, well-spoken and comfortable-in-her-own-skin people in a position as role model in our time.  She is rad.

Photo of Rachel Maddow with her dog.
Via Rachelmaddow.com




No comments:

Post a Comment