Sunday, July 7, 2013

Positude, AKA "This is better than the Zombie Apocalypse"


I will be the first to admit that sometimes it takes a concerted effort to choose to maintain a positive attitude in the face of difficult circumstances.  And by difficult circumstances I mean the day-to-day things that detract from your happiness like an unsatisfying relationship, disliking your job, or other things that slowly suck up your awesomeness.  This is where you come in.

I am going to share a few of my favorite ways to insert "Positude" into my day, but your job is to post a comment of some other suggestions.  We can all learn a few tips, I think.

  1. Hide rubber chickens: I like to leave small, funny treasures in my pockets, as well as hide them for other people, and my usual object of choice is of course a miniature rubber chicken.  Nothing bad can ever come from someone finding a bizarre small chicken in their belongings.  Except for when I chickened my husband's Chex Mix, that was a regrettable decision.  I currently have a glow-in-the-dark dinosaur in my purse for my own amusement.
  2. Soundtrack your life:  I just imagine that I am in a movie that I don't even know about, like "The Truman Show," and I decide what song would be playing now as part of the movie soundtrack.  When I am driving to work, I imagine a soundtrack like the opening part of "Office Space," or when I am starting my workout, the obvious choice is "Right Now" by Van Halen.
  3. Relish in the details: Even if it is the worst day ever, I can still enjoy a really-nice polka dot lining in my purse that only I can see, or the best stacked pile of apples at Whole Foods I have ever seen.  For a good lesson on how to do this, watch the movie Amelie.  And then I try and remind myself that there are worse things in life than my stupid, shitty day.  Like, for instance, the zombie apocalypse.
Your turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment