Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I was at a funeral! and other ways we could have messed the whole thing up...

Photo by J. Kaminski Photography
It seems very unlikely that my husband and I ever got married.  We went all through elementary to high school together, swimming on the swim team together, and basically leading separate lives side by side.  I wouldn't say that we were friends.  When we reconnected nine years after high school, I was like, "Oh yeah, that guy."

Most of our stories are quintessentially "us."  One of my favorites is the first time he asked me out on a date.  We had been texting over the course of an hour or so and, full disclosure, I may have been committed enough to the conversation to text at every stoplight.  The boy sees his opportunity and asks me out on a date.  And then, without notice, I stopped responding.  Naturally, the boy freaked out.

Based on some good advice from a friend to "Don't. Do. Anything.," the boy didn't send me any snarky comments to ruin all of his progress.  The truth is that I was at a funeral, and I turned my phone off out of respect.  When I turned my phone back on a few hours later I saw his message and thought, "Oh nooooooo, he's going to think I don't want to go out with him!"  We smoothed that over and had a very nice first date that ended with me being VERY tired for work the next morning because I didn't want to end the conversation.

The hubs claims that I almost ruined our second date, but I think it was his fault.  We discussed going out and he asked if we should invite or hang out with other people.  I thought, "OMG, is this not a date?"  I was not sure why he would want to invite others, so I panicked.  "The more the merrier!" I responded.  And he was like, um, okay...  Luckily, the date was not a group hangout, although he claims I almost ruined it with my apparent nonchalant-ness.  I say it was his fault for ever bringing it up.

Somehow we made it in spite of ourselves.  We still joke that we can't believe we married each other when we think back to our frienemy years, but it looks like the joke is on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment