Saturday, August 17, 2013

Why The Joshua Tree album might be all that you need in life.

Single cover by U2, from The Joshua Tree album, 1987
Photo via Wikipedia.org
This is the melancholy face that I make when I can't find what I am looking for.  I often have a vision of something that I am looking for, like a certain pair of shoes or the perfect piece of furniture, but simply can't find it because it doesn't exactly exist.  And so, I end up having to get creative and manufacture it myself.  This is how I end up spray painting all of my picture frames, making my own wedding invitations with paper from three different websites, and have small breakdowns in furniture stores, like today, for example.

I hate furniture stores, they creep me out.  I hate all of their fake little living rooms and bedrooms with ugly accessories organized in a giant cluttered maze.  And then, you get to the even creepier mattress section that has undressed mattresses all lined up like a Red Cross hospital.  This mixed with ugly furniture usually causes me a mini-panic attack.  The hubs says to me today, "Oh my god, are you crying?"  I said "NO!" and got the hell out of the land of ugly couches with cup holders.  And if it had a soundtrack, a melancholy U2 song would have seemed fitting.

The lesson to be learned here is that you could pretty much get by soundtracking your life with one single album, and I argue that it could be The Joshua Tree.  Now, I am certain that some people would argue their own opinion on an album, but I am going to shoot down your suggestions for anything resembling junk like Nickelback or One Direction.  Here is an example of what I mean of the "A" side of what was a cassette tape when The Joshua Tree was released:
  1. Where the Streets Have No Name - For when you are lost and you forgot to update your GPS since 2007.
  2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - For when you have an anxiety episode in a furniture store.
  3. With or Without You - For when you can't decide if you should break up with someone, OR if you can't decide if you can live with or without that cupcake.
  4. Bullet the Blue Sky - For when you are angry at Ronald Reagan and military interventions.  Oh wait, that was actually Bono.
  5. Running to Stand Still - For when you go running and you realize that you aren't moving very fast because you have sausage legs.
See? Music is like a religion, it can have all of the answers.  Unless you listen to Nickelback, then you can't be saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment