Friday, August 2, 2013

Being your best self: Things I do to stay sane



I have found over the course of time that it is important to do a few things for yourself in order to stay balanced, a.k.a. not lose my sanity on a regular basis.  Everyone has to find their own thing, so to each their own, but here are a few of the things that I have found that work for me:

  • Running in the countryside: I can't run inside, that is incredibly boring.  This time outside let's my mind process through things.  I am not always even aware of what I am thinking about, but by the time I am done I have worked through some things.  The cows keep me honest.

  • Massages: I used to think that this was an extravagant use of money, until I realized that it is best for me and everyone around me that I get a massage about every six weeks so I am not a complete jerk. Well okay, if you insist.  Seriously, otherwise I hunker around like Quasimodo from the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

  • Doing absolutely nothing:  I also refer to this as "silent vegging," but I once watched "Local on the 8's" on the weather channel for about 45 minutes before I realized what was happening.  It's nice not to talk or do anything once in a while.  Sometimes I work so hard, that I need to balance it out on my days off with a short coma.  This creeps the hubs out when I sit doing nothing, so this is most effective when he is at work.

  • Call or see a friend: I recently read an article in the June 2013 Real Simple magazine issue titled, "5 Types of Friends Everyone Should Have," written by Stephanie Booth.  The five friends listed include the comic relief (humor, warmth, and compassion), the challenger(honesty and perspective), the loyalist (someone you can be a hot mess to), the life coach (invigorates and inspires), and the risk taker (pushes you out of the status quo).  I can think of friends who fit each of these roles, and I am thankful for them every day.

  • Naps: Sometimes you just need a nap to reset your 'tude.  I happen to be a ninja at napping, as in, if I was a superhero my super power would be awesome naps.  Remember when everything you needed to know you learned in kindergarten?  Yes, they were right, at least about the naps.  If that doesn't work and I am still in a bad mood, I decide on a time when I am no longer eligible to be a crab ass.  Like, in exactly 45 minutes, I need to drop the attitude.  But who am I kidding, naps always help.
I realize that most of these activities are "alone time," and that is probably because I spend a lot of time with people at work, and I have always been comfortable with Katie time.  Maybe that will change in the future, but since this is the only time I am alone with my thoughts, I will take it.  It is about time that we stop glorifying being busy, that is not perhaps the best measurement of our lives.  I am worse than most people at this, and I am trying hard to create a different path for myself through contrast: Down time to appreciate the busy, challenging times to appreciate the winning moments, and alone time to appreciate people.

No comments:

Post a Comment