Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Movie Quotenese

My Cousin Vinny, via jonathanrosenbaum.com
English is my first language, but a small percentage of the world around me actually picks up on the fact that I frequently speak in what I imagine is a select subset of American English, which I refer to as "movie quotenese."  This includes movie quotes as well as television quotes, although movies are generally much more quotable.  Except in the case of Seinfeld quotes, of which my friend Dave is a black belt ninja, and in the case of Family Guy quotes in which almost all men are proficient.

My husband is one of the few people in the world who can hang with me and my level of movie quotenese.  Sometimes it is just to quote a movie, or sometimes it is phrase used in conversation.  Here are some of our favorites that we came up with that we like to quote in every day conversation.  You should try this at home.

My Cousin Vinny:
Mr. Tipton: You could say that.
Vinny Gambini: I did say that. Would *you* say that?
---
Vinny Gambini: It is possible that the two yutes...
Judge Chamberlain Haller: What is a yute?
Vinny Gambini: [beat] Oh, excuse me, your honor... [exaggerated] Two YOUTHS.
---
Vinny Gambini: And why not? What is positraction?
Mona Lisa Vito: It's a limited slip differential which distributes power equally to both the right and left tires.

Seinfeld:
(irritated) George is getting upset! -George, from The Jimmy
---
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!" - Kramer, Jerry, George, Elaine, from The Alternate Side
---
"We're taking the armoire!" - Street toughs, from The Soup Nazi

Via fanpop.com

Old School:
"Hey Blue!  How come there's no ice in my lemonade?!" - Frank
--
"I'm really sorry... [blowing out cigarette smoke]." - Heidi (Mitch's girlfriend)
---
"This is me leaving. This is me leaving." - Dean Pritchard

Via imdb.com
Office Space:
"What would ya say...ya do here?" - Bob Slydell
---
"Naga... Naga... Not gonna work here anymore, anyway." - Bob Porter
---
"I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people? - Tom Smykowski

Via ausgamers.com

The Big Lebowski:
"Donny, you're out of your element!" - Walter Sobchak
---
"She's not my special lady, she's my f$@*%ing lady friend. I'm just helping her conceive, man!" - The Dude
---
"I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man." - The Dude

Via imdb.com

That being said, don't miss Lebowski Fest Milwaukee coming up August 16 - 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment