Thursday, January 1, 2015

Red lights and other bothersome new realizations


I have a new level of disdain for red lights.  This is my first week back at work after being off for twelve weeks hanging out with my cool new little man and as I was driving from work to pick him up from his first day at school, I was amazed to discover that I could not get there fast enough.  The red lights were more bothersome than ever, and I wasn't even running late (I hate being late).  I then really lost patience with myself on the two wrong turns that I took. This is why people invented hover boards; for taking the most direct routes without those pesky traffic lights and bad drivers.

Is this why people are speeding at rush hour?  Probably not all erratic drivers are trying to get to their incredibly happy babies, but no doubt some of them are.  This is my new "It's 5 o'clock somewhere."  It does not involve a margarita, it involves a smile of recognition from a tiny little person.

I have to admit that it is a new challenge to pack up my work projects at 5:00 p.m. on the dot.  I haven't found the answer to how this works in reality other than my lunch usually consists of things that I can eat with one hand.  If anyone has figured out the answer to this, please enlighten me.

The most difficult part about this week is realizing how truly little time I have to spend with the little munchkin.  I have already realized that I can not afford to blow any of my two hours a day with him awake being angry, annoyed, being on my phone, thinking about work, or doing really anything except staying present in the moment and providing my undivided attention.  I can see how the weeks go quickly.

This will continue to be one of my biggest learning moments in parenting; how to parent and work.  Can anyone share any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment