Thursday, August 29, 2013

Dance Running: The hot new thing

Via friends.wikia.com
I have been developing a new kind of exercise, and I think it is ready to be unleashed onto the world.  Dance running is here.

Do you remember the friends episode, "The One Where Phoebe Runs" (pictured above)?  It is not quite like that, but it is equally freeing, and other people who are susceptible to caring about other peoples' opinions might be unwilling to run with you.  But don't knock it 'til you try it.

The origin of dance running for me goes back to my early dance days where I used to dance three miles in the 4th of July Parade every year in Racine.  I assure you, dancing and travelling forward three miles is much harder than it looks.  After much training, we would basically do dance running in the parade and it is a great workout.

Fast forward many years, and combine my constant dancing with a new hobby of running and a love for music, and I just can't help myself.  I go running, pump up the tunes, and insert forward moving dance moves here.

Here are some moves to introduce to your run for the novice dance runner:
  • Skipping
  • Galloping
  • Snaps or jazz hands
  • Shuffles
  • Kicks
  • Leaps
Please stretch before the leaps so that you don't pull something important.

Here are some songs that I can't help but dance to while I run:
  • Dancing on the Ceiling, by Lionel Richie
  • Most anything by Katy Perry, particularly Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)
  • Party Rock Anthem, by LMFAO
  • You Are the One, by Shiny Toy Guns
  • Forever, by Chris Brown
  • Some Nights, by Fun.
  • Footloose, by Kenny Loggins
  • Stuck Like Glue, by Sugarland
  • Stompa, by Serena Ryder
It is SO much fun, you should try it.  Dance like nobody's watching, as the internet says.

No comments:

Post a Comment